Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I suffer from Peripheral Neuropathy which is very gradually

Customer Question

I suffer from Peripheral Neuropathy which is very gradually getting worse. I read somewhere that there is a new treatment which improves the blood flow to the affected areas (mainly lower legs and feet). I understand that it involves a treatment which somehow widens the arteries to the affected areas thereby imroving the loss of feeling and the pains caused by the condition. Can you please advise if this is so or any other treatment. I currently rely on daily doses of Gabapentin.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
There is a surgical treatment for microangiopathy in which a bypass is made around the affected arteries to better the supply of the foot. But this will only help if your peripheral neuropathy is a result of peripheral vascular disease. If the peripheral neuropathy is due to another conditions for example hypothyroidism, vitamin B 12 deficiency, a nerve impingement in the lumbosacral spine then this treatment will not help.
This is the only effective way of improving the circulation of the peripheries.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.