DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I had a sensation of something stuck in my throat when

Customer Question

Hi. I had a sensation of something stuck in my throat when I woke up last week. With it I had night sweats, slightly fever and enlarged glands around my neck and abdomen. All symptoms have subsided except for the sensation in throat. Please advise?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Very possibly this is acid reflux, which would be worse at night.
See your doctor, who might prescribe an acid blocker to see if this helps, and who will look in your throat to see what is going on.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Doctor, I am extremely grateful for your answer to my query.

I will be seeing my GP on Thursday (still have that feeling of something stuck in my throat), but in the mean time I am now getting bad stomach acid (which appears to agree with your initial answer). This is a recent development, and at times can be noisy. It does not appear to correlate with meals nor activity.

Also, I am currently in the middle of banking degree exams - I wonder if the added stress can compound the symptoms?

Yours,

IS

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes it can.
But if you are getting that bad, see your doctor sooner
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Doctor,

As per your advice I have seen my GP today. He believes I am recovering from a viral infection, but just that I'm now getting acid reflux which is prolonging the throat from getting back to normality. He checked my glands and throat, they seem OK.

He also said my exam-related anxiety could be aggravating my throat symptoms - unfortunately this can't be helped!

Anyway, I think this wraps it up?

Thanks once again,

IS.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
YOu are welcome anytime