Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have a large swelling under my tongue and a neck. I have

I have a large swelling under my tongue and a neck. I have seen a doctor and they have confirmed that this may be a blocked saliva duct, probably a calcium deposit, that has caused inflation and swelling in the gland and a small amount of watery puss. She prescribed antibiotics and anti inflammatory pain killers. I have followed her advice and find the inflammation has increased in size again and is even more painful and uncomfortable. She believes it will settle down on it's own but I am worried about how long I will need to be this uncomfortable. Do you have any further advice? It is probably important to mention that at this stage breathing is not blocked, my worry is mainly about comfort and pain as this is quite bad and seems to be getting worse.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am glad you have seen a doctor about this.

blocked salivary ducts and swollen salivary glands can sometimes take a few days to a week or so to resolve

sucking on lemon drops can help your salivary glands produce more saliva which can help push out the stone.

you have to make sure you drink plenty of water and fluids

and warm compresses on your cheeks and under your chin can help dilate the ducts as well

you should continue to take the antibiotics.

have you tried sucking on lemon drops or eating lemon candy? and using warm compresses on your neck?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I haven't, there has been a tiny bump under my tongue for a year or two now, I expect this is the deposit itself, this is currently inflamed. If this is the case I expect the stone isn't going to budge on it's own as I will have eaten many saliva stimulating foods over that period. I am finding that eating at the moment is extremely painful due to the inflammation. I take it it is a case of continuing treatment as per my doctor and waiting for the the swelling to reduce in this case, I am assuming it is not serious in that case and that managing the discomfort with painkillers is the best I can do for now?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
sounds like you have been battling this for a long time

for long term blockage of salivary glands which do not get better, you need to ask to consult an ENT doctor who can make a small incision in the salivary gland under local anesthesa to help drain the saliva out so the gland is not so swollen.

I hope your blocked salivary gland gets better

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com