Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Madam, I am having such a hard time staying awake

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am having such a hard time staying awake at night and keep constantly falling asleep without cleaning my teeth, and i can see a small hole growing on a tooth, which is not good. I have looked after my teeth very well and have only two fillings and i really do not want anymore.
Can someone please advise good ways to stay awake at night after a long day at work for maybe one hour so i do not fall asleep? I know my dentist has recommended that i clean them earlier in the evening, but i snack late at night so this would still not be very effective.
Yours faithfully,
John Fellows
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
are you overwieght?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Phil,

Thank you for your response.

No i am a fairly slim and tall 23 year old.

Yours sincerely,

John Fellows

have you considered setting an alarm?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Phil,

That is a good idea however the times i fall asleep can be very varied. I really wanted something that when i feel tired i can do to stay awake that little bit longer. I get so fatigued and fall asleep, i just want an extra 30 minutes to 1 hour before i fall asleep so i would not have to worry about missing cleaning my teeth.

Yours sincerely,

John Fellows

have you tried a small amount of caffeine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Phil,

I have tried a small coffee or tea, but i am overwhelmed with tiredness and i still fall asleep. It is rather unusual.

Yours sincerely,

John Fellows

I would try a larger amount of caffeine then John
Also, keep in mind that brushing earlier is still good even if you snack.
it will help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Phil,

Is there anything else you can suggest please. Too much caffeine and i will not be able to fall asleep, so it seems a good option but it could have a negative effect.

Yours sincerely,

John Fellows

I think that is your only option John.
something has to give. You either have to take something to keep you awake and deal with the effects or just brush earlier. Taht is the only option
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Phil,

Will small holes gradually increase if i brush early and then eat. What will the effects be, is it still quite bad?

Yours sincerely,

John Fellows

No, it should be okay. it is the act of brushing that helps more than anything.
this will certainly slow progression
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Phil,

Thank you. Is there no techniques without caffeine Dr Phil to stay awake. Caffeine is not ideal, please may you have a short think and get back to me if you can think of anything. This is really important to me.

Yours sincerely,

John Fellows

you can try exercise. Generally people will have more energy initially after exercise
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Phil,

What about splashing the face with cold water might this help or drinking cold water? Can you give any further suggestions, exercise is a good option and i will try this. Please provide a few more suggestions for me so i can rate your answer.

Yours sincerely,

John Fellows

John those are all reasonable but I doubt they will keep you awake for more than 1-2 minutes.
Exercise is the best option.
I can't really think of anything else to "keep you awake"
I noticed that our chat is not complete.

My main goal is your 100% satisfaction and for you to consider this service excellent. If you are not 100% satisfied, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.