Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Madam, I have a very high pitched ringing in both

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam,
I have a very high pitched ringing in both ears, which is constant all day. I only notice this if i am not busy which is very frustrating. I really wondered what may be causing this please? Further and more important what can i try to do to cope with these symptoms?
Yours faithfully,
John Fellows
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today. Do you have any other symptoms like reduced hearing/ vertigo? Were any investigations obtained to see for the cause? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Ken,

I do not have any reduce hearing Dr Ken and i do not have any vertigo? I have not had any investigations to date apart from a MRI of the brain and this looked normal. I have had my ears looked at for any infection, do you recommend any further tests? What maybe causing this and what can be done to help this condition?

Yours sincerely,

John Fellows

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Hello John Fellows, I am happy that there are no associated symptoms, however ringing at ears needs further evaluation for sure. I would get CT scan for temporal bones {to look for middle and inner ear}/ blood tests {to see for diabetes, hormonal imbalance or vitamin deficiency}. The causes are - Abnormality at middle or inner ear {infection/ inflammation/ sclerosis of small bones}/ raised blood pressure, altered blood sugar levels/ hormonal imbalance. Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Ken,

Is there anything i can do in the meantime to try and limit the symptoms, anything i can use at home or work, as the ringing is very unusual?

The Doctors are generally hesitant to refer you for further tests they have said it is tinnitus and you usually have to try cope with the disease. How can i persuade my Doctor without getting angry or frustrated for further testing? How can i word this when in the face to face consultation please, i find it awkward asking for specific testing, but i need to get evaluated.

So do you think the ringing in the ears is serious, if i do not attempt to get this looked into for an abnormality could it get worse or is it something i need to personally deal with and manage?

Yours sincerely,

John Fellows

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Few things help - Putting on fan while there is no sound around/ hearing to light music. Try Yoga, meditation. Vitamin tablet daily should help. Avoid alcohol, smoking. Have balanced diet. Try to stay away from stress or anxiety.Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Ken,

What about trying to distract the mind is that a good option, keeping busy? So do you think the MRI of the Brain would have found anything serious in relation to the symptoms in the ears or wasn't this the appropriate test? Is there anything else i should request from the Doctor any other tests you could recommend?

I also note you have not answered this question i kindly asked you Ken. The Doctors are generally hesitant to refer you for further tests they have said it is tinnitus and you usually have to try cope with the disease. How can i persuade my Doctor without getting angry or frustrated for further testing?

Yours sincerely,

John Fellows

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
MRI Brain would have picked up abnormality within the brain for sure. I am happy that there is nothing abnormal. You need to explain to your doctor as to how tinnitus is causing difficulty in your daily routine. I am sure your doctor will advice further tests. You may wish to take a print out of our conversation and show it to him/her while you meet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Ken,

So do you think if i do not get this looked into further it may go worse? Or can Tinnitus be caused with no underlying cause or diagnosis?

Yours sincerely,

John Fellows

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
At your young age I do not see this as a serious issue. It will not get worse overnight for sure. Stress, and anxiety are common causes of tinnitus at your age. Please do not worry, you will be fine soon.Best