Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Madam, I seem to have an obsession with cleaning.

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam,
I seem to have an obsession with cleaning. I work some days from my home office and i always have to have the working environment perfect. I will pick up particles from my floor and have to dust everyday. I feel like it is my brain going crazy if i have a messy environment. Then while i am working i will be looking for dust around my room and have to clean it when i see it, this drives me crazy.
I want to keep my room tidy and will clean every week or so, but how can i prevent myself from this obsession of cleaning everyday and looking for dust when i work from home?
Yours faithfully,
John Fellows
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
You are having what is called as obsessive compulsive disorder.
You need to be seen by a psychiatrist and be completely evaluated for this.
You will most likely require therapy in form of counseling and medications such as SSRIs (e.g. escitalopram, paroxetine etc).
So I would strongly recommend that you be seen for this to have this treated.
I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below as that is the only way I am credited here for helping you out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Shahzad,

What strategies can i employ as a referral and treatment can take several months? How can i change my thinking at home or work at the moment to stop this obsessive cleaning? Is there any techniques or behavioral thoughts i should employ to stop this distraction from obsessive cleaning?

Yours sincerely,

John Fellows