Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Dear Doctor, I wanted to know if any medication could affect

Dear Doctor, I wanted to know if any medication could affect the results of HIV tests. I had a thrush infection and took caniston duo, and also I am asthmatic and occasionally use a symbicort (steroid) turboinhaler.
Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.

Dear customer Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.

. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

No, medications cannot affect the result of HIV. Both canesten duo & symbicort (steroid) turboinhaler does not affect the result/report of HIV test.

Modern HIV tests are very accurate.HIV antibody tests are not affected by other circumstances. If your first HIV test is positive, the result needs to be confirmed with further tests. False positive results are uncommon.

So bot***** *****ne is that both the drugs you took-canesten duo for thrush infection & symbicort (steroid) turboinhaler for asthma does not have any impact on the result of HIV reports.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Robert