Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

On second course of antibiotics in right foot/ankle

On second course of antibiotics for cellulitis in right foot/ankle which is still red and swollen. I noticed this morning that my left ankle is slightly swollen, and toes slightly painful when moving them at the moment it is not hot or redness, can cellulitis travel from one foot to the other?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. We can certainly continue after this if you'd like

Yes, since it's a bacterial skin infection, cellulitis can spread, not only in the area where it first appears, but from, say, one leg to the other.

That said, I'm concerned about another matter here. What's going on in your left leg may not be cellulitis, but rather a deep venous thrombosis--a clot in a leg vein. For that reason I urge you to call your doctor and let him know about this. He may want to see you and get a Doppler venous study of the leg