Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have been ill a while. I had a vaginal prolapse

Customer Question

I have been ill for quite a while. I had a vaginal prolapse which due to waiting list times took over a year to have fixed during which time I was in great pain most of the time and found it difficult to eat. When I recovered from that I needed painfuland swollen piles removed and the recovery time for this was lengthy because of my age (73) and again I found it difficul to eat and now I have lost a lot of weight. I am 5ft 9ins female and now weigh 8st 13 pounds and my GP suspects cancer. I am undergoing tests but wondered if my long spell of illness and being unable to eat would be the reason why I am in this situation. I am now eating better.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
The number one cause of weight loss is not being able to eat well.
The great thing is that you have improved and started eating.
Although cancer is a possibility in your case but since your appetite was not good during your period of weight loss I would suspect that as the cause rather than cancer. However, I would still investigate you for cancer and thyroid disease.
High level of thyroid hormones can also cause weight loss.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.