Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had severe bleeding from the rectum on several occasions

I have had severe bleeding from the rectum on several occasions since the beginning of the year. A sigmoidoscopy reported nothing except two tags at the rectum. A barium x-ray was not conclusive as there was a shadow which could have been "remaining faeces or a polyp". I have increased flatulence and burping and very loud noises from my stomach. Also there is an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach area which feels bloated. Any ideas?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am sorry you are having bleeding.

the most common cause of bleeding is from rupture of hemorrhoid veins in the rectum or anal area

this can happen with large bowel movements or excessive straining or pushing to get the stool out.

did your doctors see any hemorrhoids on the sigmoidoscopy or finger anal exam?

hemorrhoids are very common. basically everyone has veins in their rectum and these veins can swell up and become hemorrhoids and if they get traumatized, the hemorrhoids can bleed.

excessive stomach acid can cause upset stomach in the upper left quadrant of the abdomen. it can also cause gas and bloating. stomach acid blocking agents like zantac or nexium or prilosec can help decrease stomach acid. changing your diet can also help stomach acid. avoiding spicy foods , alcohol, tomato sauce, oily foods can also help.

have you tried any of these stomach acid blocking agents yet?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I have more to say to you here. Since you said there were two rectal tags seen, if this were a hemorrhoid problem that would have been obvious. You need a full colonoscopy for this as well as possible biopsies. This could be inflammatory bowel disorder or you may have what's called an arteriovenous malformation in the colon wall.
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.