Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I was taking Propranalol - 2x40mg per day - and

I was taking Propranalol for anxiety - 2x40mg per day - and am lactose intolerant, so I stopped taking them 2 days ago, as they were making me lethargic, stomach pains and loose stools Been checking my BP tonight, and it is 143/85 - pulse 95 - should I ride it out as the tablets really make me feel rotten and lower my BP to 119/68 ? The anxiety has been fine.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Propranolol also has effects on your blood pressure and heart rate.
The withdrawal symptoms can manifest more prominently after 24 hours of discontinuation.
So, it will be better to to taper off the propranolol instead of just stopping it.
The taper should be done by half a tablet every 3 days to minimize the withdrawal symptoms.
Another option will be to take propranolol one tablet if the Bp and heart rate get higher ( BP above 160/100 and Pulse above 110).
Please discuss with your doctor also.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please click on Excellent service so that the website allows me to assist you further :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much, I will do that, my heart rate is coming lower now I have got an answer from a Doctor, I was a little bit worried but OK now. Thank you so much Doctor. :)

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Very welcome
Best wishes