Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Dear Doctor, I have tested negative . Could you let

Dear Doctor, I have tested negative for HIV. Could you let me know if smoking cigarettes or Nicorette products could have affected the result. Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome back to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
No,smoking cigarettes or Nicorette products does not affect the result of HIV test.
Modern HIV tests done these days are very accurate.HIV antibody tests are not affected by other circumstances.
The window period is the time it takes for your body to produce HIV antibodies after you have been exposed to HIV. In more than 97% of people, this period is between 2 and 12 weeks.
So a test done after 12 weeks is usually accurate.As it comes out to be negative,then a repeat test 3 months after your exposure is required.The result you get after 3 months will be 99% certain.
And your answer is that smoking cigarettes or Nicorette products does not affect the result of HIV test.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert