Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Left foot very swollen.red and painful. Cant put any weight

Customer Question

Left foot very swollen.red and painful. Cant put any weight on it today. My Gp says it is arhritis when I saw her last week. I do have arthritis in my right foot but nothing like this.Tears today. Please help.
Thank you ***** ***** west kilbride
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to this severe pain which bought tears in your eyes.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
The symptoms you have described of severe pain in left foot along with redness & swelling can be due to acute attack of arthritis or gout.
If too much uric acid is being produced or if the kidneys are not able to remove it from the blood normally, the level of uric acid in the blood increases.Increased concentrations of uric acid can cause crystals to form in the joints, which leads to the joint inflammation and pain characteristic of gout.
You need an x-ray of left foot,serum uric acid level,ESR(erthythrocyte sedimentation rate) & other blood tests.
As you are already taking morphine & other medications throughout the day for your arthritis of right hip joint & this has no effect on the pain of your left foot,so you need medications accordingly.
If it was arthritis,your pain would have subsided with the same medication.
You may need medication to reduce uric acid levels.
So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert