DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have a large rash on my right leg that covers the whole of

I have a large rash on my right leg that covers the whole of the front of my thing, from my knee up until my waist. I have had in for a number of years and in recent years it has become more painful. The pain increases when stood/walking for prolonged periods. I have had several examinations from consultants but still no answers. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Glad to look at a picture.
However, if you have no diagnosis after several consultants, you need a biopsy of any rash.
That will identify if it is
eczema
Psoriasis
Rare skin disease
Autoimmune condition
Allergy
Infection.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes please see picture attached. I have had the rash constantly (it doesn't come and go) for over five years. My issue is that my leg is so painful, not the rash it's self or its cosmetic appearance.

The pain becomes worse when stood for a long period of time, or following having been very active, such as attending the gym etc. The pain comes from 'inside' the leg, not the rash it's self, it's a constant ache, it becomes swollen and hot to touch.

I've had an ultrasound on the the veins and arteries which they said all was ok. The doctors seem to confuse it with it being a cosmetic condition which I do not agree with, there is clearly an underlying condition that the rash it's self is a symptom not the actual problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, my next step was to consider going privately but it's hard to know what step to take when I'm not sure which field of medicine I should seek a consultant

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
Two separate issues.
You should have an MRI of the lower spine for the leg pain. Probably a disc problem.
You should have a biopsy [small piece of skin] from the rash sent to the lab.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.