Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have a long standing case of Restless Leg Syndrome, treated

I have a long standing case of Restless Leg Syndrome, treated day to day (relatively ineffectively) with the dopamine agonist Ropinerole in the 6 to 10 mg. per night range.
On a recent stay in Spain a Doctor friend conducted some tests (needle stimulation etc.) and concluded that my particular version of RLS is caused by damage to peripheral nerves where I have had prosthesis surgery. Indeed I can now 'trigger' RLS to some extent by rubbing the two scars (knee and hip). This Doctor could not offer treatment in the small time available but suggested I would have to find a neurological specialist to perform nerve block injections in the two scar areas.
The RLS I have affects my life seriously ( I cannot sit for long, for instance ) and I would dearly love to find an answer.
Yours in hope, Dennis Troman
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
I think that rather than a neurologist to perform a nerve block you will most likely require a pain medicine specialist to perform the nerve block to see if that helps with your symptoms.
So I would recommend that you should consult a pain medicine doctor in your area rather than a neurologist.
You can ask your GP to help you find a pain medicine doctor or refer you to one in your area.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately pain medicine doctors in my area are not interested in my case because the RLS does not cause me pain, only severe discomfort. Hence my need to find a viable alternative treatment

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
There is another treatment other than ropinirole which may help and that is pramipexole.
I think that you should discuss this with your doctor to see if this helps you with your RLS before proceeding to procedures.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me before we proceed.