Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Partner has been diagnosed with level 4 malaria. she is in

Customer Question

partner has been diagnosed with level 4 malaria. she is in kenya at moment. don't know what level 4 is. she is at home and told to take some drugs but says she feels sick tonight. won't go to the hospital. should i be worried.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like but the levels or stages of malaria refer to the clinical signs and symptoms--in a way, how severe the infection is at any given time. Level 4 would indicate that clinically she is very sick but since I don't have any more information and can't examine her but if she's on the medication and not having a very high fever or uncontrollable vomiting, at least for now she should be OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what does level 4 mean. should she be in a hospital? she says she is ok but feels sick and was ok until tonight

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Dan as I said before level 4 means that clinically--when seen and examined by a doctor--she is indeed very sick. Right now I don't think she needs to be in a hospital but hopefully she's being followed closely by a doctor.