Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

There, I will try to explain this as best I can, I have

Hi There,
I will try to explain this as best I can, I have always had a memory problem both short and long term, in short term, forget dates and times etc, if I have an appointment, I will remember I have the app. but will forget the time/date. on long term I find that I can not recall events that happened, i.e. I know I was in the Army for 6 years when I was 17, but can not remember it, know I was married, but cant recall it etc, although if someone prompts me about an occasion it comes back to me, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers about twenty years ago, obviously that was wrong, I have unconsciously became an expert with a diary, so get by ok. is there a clinical name for what I have, and how common is it.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
This is a form of dementia. There are many types of dementia. Alzheimers is one of them. If you actually had alzheimers, it would have progressed by now. It may be helpful to have formal diagnostic testing to determine your degree of impairment. Its not possible to give a name to the type of dementia just by description. That requires formal testing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hospital said I don't have dementia, on the tests they have done, especially as I have had this for most of my life, but no one has said if there is a name for my condition

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Thats great then that you do not have dementia; It sounds like you have no medical condition at all. Maybe just a memory that is not as good as most.