Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had heart failure 2 years ago& since then my prostate capacity

I had heart failure 2 years ago& since then my prostate capacity seems to have reduced by about20% can you give me any explanation
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--first can you tell me what you mean by prostate capacity please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My bladder when full appears to have reduced the amount of urine that it would have previously held
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK Robert. We can continue after this if you'd like.

This is a problem with an enlarged prostate, also known as benign prostatic hypertrophy, and it happens in many men as they pass the age of 50. It would have nothing to do with your heart failure per se. The enlarged prostate constricts the bladder outlet and causes a residual amount of urine to be left in the bladder after urination. So basically the bladder fills a bit faster and these men find themselves urinating more frequent and that the volume of urine is less.

If you haven't had a digital (finger in the rectum) prostate exam you need one. If you have BPH there are medications like Proscar and Hytrin that can shrink the prostate and eliminate the problem