Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

3 weeks ago, I woke up with a left side cramp in my pelvic

3 weeks ago, I woke up with a left side cramp in my pelvic region and later developed back aches. The symptoms gradually improved but didn't go completely. I saw a doctor who palated my tummy and felt everything was fine but gave me nitrofurantoin which I used for 4 days. The pain is almost gone completely but I notice I still feel the cramp if I have sat down for too long. Then, 2 nights ago after having 2 glasses of wine, I started feeling an increased urge to pee and this has remained despite taking cystopurin for 2 days now. Also, when I poke my finger on my centre lower belly closer to my pubic area I feel tender there and the need to pee straight away. I also feel a sharp pain poking my finger to the lower left of my tummy but that's getting better not as painful as it felt a few days earlier while on my period. Lastly I have been having headaches all day, not sure if it's the anxiety triggering it.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Have you got any ultrasound abdomen so far? Does that pain come like a sharp shooting pain or feel like a dull constant ache? For what you are specifically worried? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't had an ultrasound done yet. The pain I feel when I poke my finger into my lower abdomen is a sharp pain. The one I felt earlier on (which feels much better now) started as a dull aching pain and I only feel that come and go now after sitting with my back bent for a long time (I work on a computer and tend to assume a sitting position leaning forward most times)
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Your gender? Do you have any burning pain while passing urine? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am female. Not burning pain, more like a tickling sensation that lingers a few minutes after the pee.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also if I can be more specific about the pain, if my stomach is palpated with the finger pads it feels all smooth and no pain. I only feel the sharp pain described when I poke a single finger deeply to the specific spot. The pain is not as bad as it felt 3 days ago but I can still feel it when I poke and I feel an urge to pee when I poke the lower centre of my belly as well.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Moji thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As per your description and response to nitrofurantoin, it sounds like a urinary tract infection most likely in urinary bladder. We call it cystitis. Other possible causes can be muscular pain or can be pelvic inflammatory disease but both are least likely and just can be considered in differential diagnosis. Backache can be accompanied by both cystitis and pelvic inflammatory disease. Abdominal palpation is usually not sufficient to get to the cause as structures here are lying very close. We usually need ultrasound etc to get to the cause. Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations over the counter available tab aleve twice daily can help with pain and cranberry juice daily can help the urinary tract infection. Later you should see your doctor and get urine R/E, urine culture and ultrasound pelvis. This will help him reach a diagnosis. I would like to reassure you that anything serious with these symptoms is out of question so please don't stress yourself. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response and I will see the doctor for a detailed diagnosis. What are the chances this symptoms are linked to ovarian cancer? I have suffered from anxiety in the past so not sure if my symptoms are psychological as well.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Moji you are most welcome. The chances of these symptoms being related to ovarian cancer are zero percent, I assure you. These are not physiological symptoms as well. Just follow my advice and you are going to be alright soon. My best wishes and prayers will follow you. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards