Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I think I might be three months pregnant after a one night

Customer Question

I think I might be three months pregnant after a one night stand at the end of January. My breasts feel bigger, I feel I've put on a little weight and I just "feel" pregnant.
I've been gaining weight and been unhappy with it for a while. I've had two periods since the one night stand, but when I googled it sites said bleeding at the start of a pregnancy was normal. I've also taken 4 pregnancy tests, all negative but again I've googled it and there are people who say that they don't work plus I know they're 99% accurate...the 1% worries me.
I should go to my GP but I'm embarrassed, I'd like to talk it through with someone. Its really stressing me out and affecting me a lot. Please help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. First question--have you ever been pregnant before?

Were those periods on time and normal?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I haven't been pregnant before

My periods have never been regular, sometimes once a months, sometimes once every 2 months. My last one was the very end of March.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Kate. And when was that last pregnancy test?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Last week

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--Just one last question--that one night stand--how soon after a period was that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think a month roughly? It was the end of January, I had a period at the end of Feb and again at the end of march.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry but that wasn't quite clear Kate. When exactly was the one night stand and when was your period just before that event?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry. My one night stand was the end of January, the 20th I think? My period was at the end of February

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK but when did you have your last period before around the 20th of January?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I definitely had it on Christmas day, not sure of exact dates.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK Sorry for all the questions but I wanted to get all the information I needed before I answered.

While I admit anything is possible, I'm saying that there's really no way you could be pregnant for the following reasons

1) If your period was on Christmas day then your ovulatory period--usually only two or three days--would have been around January 6-10. So you wouldn't have been ovulating when you had that one night stand.

2) One pregnancy test might have a 1% chance of being falsely negative, but with four negative tests that really erases that 1% false negative chance

So basically I see no way you're pregnant, even with your symptoms. That doesn't mean there isn't something going on here--maybe low thyroid or a problem with polycystic ovarian disorder, so you should see your doctor for an exam and some blood work

Hope that puts the pregnancy worry to rest but let me know if we need to continue

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, can I ask another question? Is it possible to still have a period whilst pregnant? I'm fairly sure this is just me getting worried about nothing and your response backs that up. I'd like to be able to give myself a mental shake next time I get my period and to stop worrying. I hope that makes sense.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, as I said before, anything's possible but to have had two period while being pregnant would really be very, very unusual. Certainly, were you to talk to your doctor about this I'm sure he'd say there's no way you're pregnant Kate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate your responses.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Kate--call on me any time