Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Some 2 months ago I did some extensive garden work over a

Some 2 months ago I did some extensive garden work over a weekend involving chainsaw and wood shredder. The following day my elbow was hurting but I assumed that was the least I should expect. Unfortunately, over 2 months on, the pain is still there (every day), especially noticeable when I reach out or lift (even small light objects). I have not been taking any painkillers as I assumed it would settle on its own, and I tend to take medication only when necessary. Now, I did some more garden work yesterday - much lighter (mowing the lawn and some minor cutting), but I noticed that while cutting my elbow would hurt more. And this morning my entire right arm is extremely sore - mostly the albow of course, but also my wrist and shoulder, all the way up the riht side of my neck. What should I do to prevent furtheer deterioration, and speed up recovery please?

P.S. On moving my arm at the moment it feels like a "trapped nerve" down my arm below the elbow, and up in my neck and shoulder.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
It seems like there was minor ligament injury around the elbow joint that progressed because of inadequate treatment and inadequate rest.
I would suggest that you start on an anti inflammatory like Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice a day and start applying Ibuprofen liquigel on the whole arm form the wrist to the shoulder with gentle massage 4 times a day.
Keep the arm elevated and the elbow bent at 90 degrees. Wrap an ACE or crepe bandage starting from the hand to the mid arm firmly (not tightly).
You need to see your physician for an xray and an examination and to rule out soft tissue ligamentous injuries and ulnar nerve compression.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.