Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Good morning, Is allopathic medicine a general term. I am

Good morning,
Is allopathic medicine a general term. I am looking for some information on the use of magnesium for the treatment of fibro-myalgia and calcification post surgery (15 years later). Are coelaic's more prone to deficiencies in calcium and magnesium?
thanks
Martha
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Yes, Celiacs are more prone to deficiency of calcium and magnesium in fact, a deficiency of these electrolytes is the cause of most of the symptoms experienced by individuals suffering from celiac disease.
Calcium is absorbed in the small intestines and a gluten free diet can result in poor absorption of calcium. This plus other factors present in celiacs causes calcium and in turn magnesium deficiency.
Let me know if you have any other queries about this.
Please do leave a positive rating.
Best wishes.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Let me know if you have any more queries.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr Uzair,

Is it ok to purchase magnesium and what type in a health shop and to take in with Calcium tablets calcichews + vitamin D?

What amounts should be taken and are they likely to breakdown calcification around discs with prolonged use?

thanks

Martha

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is okay to purchase magnesium as a supplement that is available OTC in pharmacies. It is mostly available in combinations with calcium. Companies that manufacturer magnesium/calcium combination supplements promote a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio as being ideal for absorption of these elements. But the first step, is to evaluate the deficiency of magnesium in your body to calculate how long and how much magnseium to use.
This can be done by a simple metabolic panel which will include blood levels of calcium, magnesium and other essential minerals.
Magnesium is also available as separate preparations like Magnesium Tautarate and magnesium citrate and it can also be taken OTC but again, the duration of supplementation depends on how much the deficiency is.
The daily recommended dose for magnesium in adult females is about 360 mg.
And the dose of the supplement depends on the deficiency for example, For mild magnesium deficiency: magnesium sulfate 3 grams every 6 hours for 4 doses.
Magnesium is known and approved for osteoporosis but the amount to take depends on how much you are deficient. Attaining a normal range of magnesium in the body is enough to incite its effects on the bones and joints.
I would suggest that you visit your Internist or your Nutritionist for a dose assessment.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information Dr.Uzair

regards

Martha

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
It is my pleasure, Martha.
Take care.