Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I need an opinion please. Yesterday it was quite

Customer Question

Hello, I need an opinion please. Yesterday it was quite hot and I played some tennis outside for about an hour and a half. I didnt have any water with me. When I got home I had quite a bad headache and instead of drinking water I drank a beer and sat in the sun for some more time. After going indoors I still had a headache so I took my temperature and it was 37.5. Would you class this as a temperature? Do you think the headache was from dehydration and does body temperature increase during exercise?
Also I did not have any symptoms or anything and didnt feel ill, I actually had appettite and was quite hungry at the time also.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

No, a temperature of 37.5 would not be considered a fever. There are some people that consider a temperature of 37.5 to be the upper limit of normal, but the usual upper limit is 38.0.

Yes, it is very common to get a headache from dehydration during exercise.

Body temperature can increase during exercise, but it usually does not get into an elevated range. However, a lack of hydration to the point that sweating does not occur is one of the risk factors for getting overheated during exercise.

From your description, it does not sound like you had any serious issue other than some level of dehydration. It certainly does not sound like you had any heat related illness.

In the future, though, it is always wise to hydrate well before and after exercise, particularly when exercising outdoors on a hot day.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response Dr. You actually just made a point which I forgot to mention. I did not actually sweat at all during the exercise. Even though it was strenous. Does this indicate that I was dehydrated and as a result as I did not sweat my body got hotter since sweating during sports is what normally regulates the body tempareture? I ask because I did not have any sypmtoms of feeling ill or a fever other than the headache which reduced after i started drinking water.

Yes, if you were not sweating, it is likely that you were dehydrated. However, since the temperature was only 37.5 and you did not develop any symptoms, you did not get overheated or any heat related illness. If you had continued to exercise, you may have reached a point of getting overheated, but you did not get to that point with the amount of exercise that was done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What about the headache? Would that be caused by dehydration as well? Normally when I exercise the temperature still remains around 36.5 so what would explain the increase in temperature and the headache?

I addressed the headache above.

A temperature of 37.5 is still within the normal range, so is not considered abnormal, regardless of whether you were dehydrated and what temperature you usually run.