Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a scan at 7 weeks 0 days from my LMP due to bleeding

I had a scan at 7 weeks 0 days from my LMP due to bleeding and it said on my scan report that there was a heartbeat and a live intrauterine pregnancy with a CRL of 7mm. My daughter is now 4 years old but just a bit confused as I came across scan report recently and it said on it gestation approx. 5 weeks. Is this is referring to actual fetal age of foetus? My EDD was not discussed at this stage and my later scan at exactly 7 weeks 3 days later said I was 14 weeks 3 days, which is spot on with my LMP. Was the earlier scan just giving an estimate of foetal age as opposed to gestational age calculated from LMP?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It depends upon how the report is worded.

However, in this case, it is very likely that the first report was discussing the fetal age, rather than the gestational age. We typically do not detect the heartbeat until a gestational age of 6-7 weeks, which would correspond to a fetal age of 4-5 weeks. And since the second ultrasound showed a 14 week 3 day pregnancy, that would indicate that the first ultrasound was done at 7 weeks, which would correspond to a fetal age of 5 weeks.

If you have the actual reports and can attach the reports, I would be glad to review them, but from the description that you have provided, it is very likely that the first ultrasound was referring to fetal age.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Is it normal for earlier scans to sometimes go by actual fetal age? It was a transvaginal scan. It just says foetus gestation 5 weeks.

Sometimes, it is done, it is the personal preference of the Radiologist dictating the result.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you. If I were to scan the report, would you be able to have a look at it for me?

Yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would there be any extra cost for doing so if you don't mind me asking?

No.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** do that tonight if that's ok.

Whenever you are ready. If I am not online when you post it, I will answer when I am back online.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I checked the scan report and it simply says: "A single live intrauterine pregnancy with a CRL of 7mm. Gestation 5 weeks. Small subchlorionic bleed seen. " Are you able to shed more light on this?

This is consistent with what we have already discussed, so the report is referencing fetal age.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It would be almost impossible a 5 week pregnancy (from LMP) would have a CRL of 7mm or that a heart beat would already be seen?

As I said above, we typically do not detect the heartbeat until a gestational age of 6-7 weeks, which would correspond to a fetal age of 4-5 weeks.