Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I've just started having sex recently and I've noticed that

Customer Question

I've just started having sex recently and I've noticed that it feels different or tingly when I pee for about a week, then after we had sex the second time it started to burn a bit when I pee. I am not sure if this is normal or if its an infection.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

If the burning was transient after sex, it is not a serious concern. However, if there is persistent burning, that would be concerning that an infection has occurred. It is fairly common for a woman to develop a bladder infection (or cystitis) when first sexually active or when first sexually active again after a period of no sex.

There is a syndrome called honeymoon cystitis in which a bladder infection occurs during the honeymoon because of the sudden sexual activity. I also have had patients that are married to someone with whom they are absent for significant periods of time, such as military personnel, and when they are able to get together and have sex again, develop a bladder infection. In these situations, it is not that the germ causing the bladder infection are sexually transmitted, but that the mechanical manipulation of the tissue during sex allows for the germs to enter the bladder.

If the burning is transient, then the flushing of the system is apparently clearing the germ, but if the burning persists, then it would be worrisome for a bladder infection, and a course of antibiotics would be appropriate.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How transient to sex should the burning be for it not to be an infection? I last had sex on sunday and this tuesday morning it was the strongest burn I've felt while peeing ever since having sex. Would that mean that its an infection cause it burned two days after? If so, how do I treat it? What can I do at home to help heal it? How can I prevent it in the future?

If the burning persists for several days, it would be worrisome that it is an infection.

A bladder infection is not usually not able to be treated at home. It typically requires antibiotics to clear an infection. Drinking plenty of water to flush the system will usually help prevent infection. In someone with recurrent bladder infections, a supplement, D-mannose, also may help prevent infections. There also are some people that have had some success using D-mannose to treat bladder infections, but the clinical studies indicate that it is not good for treating infections.