Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My partner has crohns and has a colostomy bag for15 years,the

Hi, My partner has crohns and has a colostomy bag for15 years,the last couple of days there has been blood in her bag,she is not in pain and her stoma seems normal.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

If there is blood in the colostomy bag of someone with a history of Crohns disease, it is important for that person to be seen by her doctor, as bleeding could be a sign of an exacerbation of the inflammation associated with the Crohns disease. If the stoma appears normal, that would be more of a concern that there may be inflammation causing the blood in the colostomy bag.

There are, of course, many other possible cause of bleeding in the GI tract, but in someone with a history of Crohns disease, an exacerbation of inflammation in the gut would be the first concern.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.