Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Can you die if shot in the heart by a colt 45 gun handgun?

Customer Question

Can you die if shot in the heart by a colt 45 gun handgun? Why do animals die always?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, someone can die if shot in the heart by any handgun, if struck in certain portions of the heart. It is possible that a gun shot wound to the chest around the heart may not hit a structure that will lead to immediate death, such as becoming lodged in the sac surrounding the heart. However, a gun shot from any handgun may hit a critical structure and result in death.

From the perspective of animals, I am uncertain what you mean. Animals certainly can die from gun shot wounds, but it is not universal.

Do you mean any particular type of wound in animals?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why is it that animals die instantly with a gun shot and humans are harder to kill? Does a bullet go straight through a human and in what scenario would a gun bullet get stuck and why? Is it better to shoot heart than head to die and please could you send me a picture of where the heart is on a human and where best to kill someone. In what area of heart? Thanks. Ella
Animals do not instantly die with a gun shot. I am not a hunter, but my father was, and animals frequently did not die when shot with a gun.

There are no set scenarios that would result in a bullet getting stuck. As an example, sometimes it first strikes a rib or the sternum and loses momentum. It would be unethical to teach someone where it is best to kill someone.