Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Over the last 2 months I have had 5 separate occasions

Hello, over the last 2 months I have had 5 separate occasions when I've suffered from a severe sore throat. I have it again right now and its been present since last Thursday. I visited my Gp yesterday and he could find nothing wrong. I encouraged him to take a swab which he did and I hope to get some results by Friday. It is so painful to swallow that I have not eaten in 24 hours. I am forcing myself to drink fluids. I have a blocked nose also on this occasion but Im unsure if theyre linked. My ears hurt when I swallow yet the doctor found nothing when he looked into them. I drink a lot of fruit & veg juice, particularly beetroot, carrot, orange, apple. Sometimes when I eat the fruit raw (apples) I get a very itchy throat. Is there a possibility Im allergic to the fruit juices im drinking? otherwise what tests should my doctor be undertaking? many thanks, Megan
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions
As you are had 5 times sore throats in the past 2 months & had it right now and its been present since last Thursday,throat swab is one of the best test to know the underlying cause of this.
Although most of sore throats are caused by viral infections.But this can be due to allergic.A bacterial infection seems to be a less likely cause.
An infection will be ruled out by throat swab test which you have already had with reports awaited by friday.
As you have had a blocked nose,so sinusitis can also be a great possibility.Transillumination (shining a light through the sinuses) is used to look for sinus inflammation.
Allergy to fruit juice or some ingredients can be a possibility.
You need allergy tests.Common one are:elimination-type tests.In this the suspected foods are avoided for several weeks and then gradually re-introduced one at a time and you will be observed for signs of an allergic reaction.
Radioallergosorbent test (RAST) is a blood test done to see whether there is true allergic reaction.
Complete blood count(CBC) & Antinuclear antibody(ANA) tests may be done.
So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert