Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

About 3 years ago, I woke up one morning with a terrible

hi about 3 years ago, I woke up one morning with a terrible headache and I vomited terribly since then I have been getting weekly episodes of uncontrollable vomiting with a migraine My Nanna had this and she was diagnosed with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. Please can you help me?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
What is your age & gender?
Are you taking any medications?
I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am 23, 24 in under a fortnight. I am a female and I take normal paracetamol when this happens.
Dear customer
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions
The symptoms of weekly episodes of uncontrollable vomiting can be due to Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome or due to migraine attack.
In cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS),the episodes usually occur at fixed interval of time. It is a disorder that causes recurrent episodes of nausea, vomiting and tiredness .The exact cause of cyclic vomiting syndrome is unknown.
Migraine is a form of vascular headache and is by high stress periods,hormonal changes,irregular sleep,food habits,bad lifestyles etc..There can be various triggering agents.
It is difficult to diagnose because it is infrequently seen in clinical practice and because vomiting may be caused by a large number of common disorders other than cyclic vomiting disorder.Also because no tests—such as a blood test or x ray—can establish a diagnosis of CVS.
Treatment includes Tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline and nor triptyline ,ondansetron (Zofran) or lorazepam (Ativan). So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for the tests & examination & then prescription medications accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes this happens normally on a Tuesday or a Wednesday morning. I have a doctor appointment booked for Thursday afternoon as that's the next one available. Thank you so much for your help Dr Robert. Have a lovely day in whatever you are doing. Louise in Harbledown x
Dear customer
Thank you for the words of appreciation.
Yes, as the episodes are fixed & typical on particular day like a Tuesday or a Wednesday morning,so cyclic vomiting syndrome seems to be a probable cause.
Its good that you have made an appointment with your doctor on thursday afternoon.Clinical evaluation along with certain tests will be done to confirm the diagnosis & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert