Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I have been suffering from a severe sore throat since Easter

Customer Question

Hi i have been suffering from a severe sore throat since Easter holidays and it is affecting my job i have had every medicine available in a shop and pure honey and lemon juice but it doesn't seem to be getting rid of it completely i am worried as i am a singer and need to get back my singing voice but my throat is not getting any better i can talk now just thought i would ask if it could be something worse because i have never had a sore throat this long before
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

you could be having allergies or acid reflux worsening your throat symptoms.

you might need to use zantac or prilosec to help control acid reflux

you might need to take allergy medications like allegra or claritin and steroid nasal sprays to help control post nasal drip which can worsen sore throat

do you have acid reflux or allergy post nasal drip?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have never suffered from allergies and my nose is not congested my throat just feels as if it is cut and on some occasions i have a lot of of built up saliva

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
you could be having bad acid reflux of stomach acid coming up into your throat causing your symptoms

you might need to try stomach acid blockers to see if that helps

if you have severe anxiety symptoms, this can cause you to have a lump in your throat sensation as well.

are you willing to try over the counter antacids and see if they help?

do you have excessive anxiety symptoms?