Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Good evening I wonder if you could help. I think I have

good evening
I wonder if you could help. I think I have a trapped nerve, I get pins and needles down my right arm. I have pain which I can only describe as a lump by my ribs which is uncomfortable. This keeps me awake at night
Thank You
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

If the paraesthesias are down the arm on the outer side the C5 root is being compressed and if it is down the inner side then the T1 root is being compressed. If the arm is affected then that means the compression is some where between the cervical spine and the clavicle, this could be due to C spine problems, cervical ribs, entrapment between scalene muscles, compression under the clavicle, with an AV malformation of the axillary artery etc.
There are numerous causes of compression on the brachial plexus and the way to go about it is to see a Plastic Surgeon trained in Nerve and Upper limb surgery, get a Nerve Conduction Study done, a chest x ray and a c spine x ray in lateral view as well if not done previously.
After a detailed evaluation and the above tests, one can localize where the impingement is and a treatment plan can be chalked out.
Let me know if you have more queries about this.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.