Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am contemplating bunion and hammer toe surgery but my circulation

I am contemplating bunion and hammer toe surgery but my circulation in my legs is not great as many years ago I was an intravenous drug user and damaged my venuous system then. I have a few varicous veins on my foot and legs but no other visible damage. I walk a lot and keep active. Will I be able to heal from the proposed foot surgey or could I end up with worse damage?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi We can continue after this if you'd like but if the problem is only with the venous system in your legs and there's not problem with arterial blood flow then you should have no complications with the surgery. The healing process from that kind of surgery is not dependent on the venous flow in the legs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As far as I know there is no problem with my arterial flow. I just thought there might be difficulty in healing in the foot because of the historic damage done to my lower venous system. I would emphasise that my legs are not swollen (apart from a tiny bit in the ankles if I have been on my feet all day standing up) and as I said I do a lot of walking and am quite an active person. I really want to get this surgery done as the hammer toes in particular cause me much discomfort. I am just getting an attack of last minute nerves and anxiety. But you think I should heal up in the foot fairly normally?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
John you really don't need to worry about the surgery at all here. From all you've told me the arterial flow in you legs is fine and again that's the part that has to do with the postoperative healing process. Varicose veins would not interfere one bit with the postoperative healing--you'd do fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Doctor

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you John