Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

What can a cea pattern as this mean during chemotherapy : 65

Customer Question

What can a cea pattern as this mean during chemotherapy :
65 - before chemo
80- after round 1
55 - after round 2
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.
The CEA levels indicate good progress of your chemotherapy.
Serial monitoring of CEA levels is started prior to chemotherapy and continued till 6 weeks or sometimes more to monitor the results of the chemotherapy.
In your case the falling levels after round 2 indicates that the chemotherapy is having good effect and your cancer is going down.
The initial rise after round 1 is also to be expected and indicates that the chemotherapy has been effective - the initial rise is due to death of the cancer cells.
Hence the CEA pattern is quite satisfactory and indicates a good overall response to the chemotherapy.
Take care - wish you good health and a quick recovery.
If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thx

but can anything else be the reason For the drop ?

u see he already tried irinitecan but that failed so we thinking this chemo will not work too. He's on oxyplatin and raltitrexed .

can cea usually drop after round 2?

Hello Bella,
Yes CEA does start dropping by round 2.
Since the drop started after the chemotherapy, there is no reason to think of other causes for the drop in the CEA.
The rise after the first round also shows that the chemo is working and had started killing tumor cells.
Take care - wish him good health and a quick recovery.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok iforgot to ask - what is prognosis like with chemo

? Would he have to always have chemo now that he has metastatses ?

sure i will

give positive rating

Prognosis depends on a host of factors and cannot be predicted easily.
So also with metastases there are a number of factors which will determine whether he needs chemo always.
You will just have to wait and see his progress on this I am afraid, it cant be predicted at this stage.
But the falling CEA gives great hope.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.