Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My ball of my foot is very swollen and is now stopping me from

my ball of my foot is very swollen and is now stopping me from walking for long distances, can it be removed
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Is it a bony swelling or a swelling of skin? Has he given any diagnosis for that problem? Are you on any pain killers? Regards
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Kevin please provide the info I have asked for above. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a bunion on the same foot pushing my other toes over, but the swelling is large and very pain full walking, when I remove some of the swelling with a sanding machine is seems to get worse,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its started with a bunion pushing my toes over, every time I sand some skin off with in hours its swelling bigger, its under the skin swelling and now its stopping me from long distance walking,

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Kevin thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Yes the swelling can be removed surgically if other measures have failed to address the pain. I asked for pain killers because mostly pain killers have anti inflammatory effects as well and help in relieving the swelling. If you are not on any pain killers then over the counter available tablet aleve twice daily is an option. You should avoid putting weight on that swelling if you can. You can wear orthotics which are available over the counter. But finally yes you can get that swelling removed surgically. Although it is not so simple. Even after surgery, you have to wait for 6 to 8 weeks for recovery and may need crutches as well as avoidance of bearing weight is mandatory. But the answer to your question is yes if other measures have been tried and have failed, surgical removal is the answer. Till you get it seen, tab aleve twice daily can help you. Regards