Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I get general muscle and joint pain most of the time and have

Customer Question

I get general muscle and joint pain most of the time and have done for several years, Dr mentioned fibromyalgia but never formally diagnosed some years ago. I was injured in my lower back 4 years ago and have also suffered with anxiety/depression for 26 years since my son was born. Approx 6 weeks ago I suffered terrible occipital nerve pain and was given gabapentin for a couple of weeks then reduced to zero. I have been taking venlafaxine for several months now which seems to help with the anxiety. For past four days my joint and muscle pain is chronic and even my clothes/bedding and shower seem to affect the pain. As if the weight of anything hurts. I have always suffered from sleepless nights but past few days I am sleeping but having fitful nights with vivid dreams and nightmares and waking with pain. Since yesterday I have been extremely light headed and have electric shock type pains in my arms, hands and legs......and feel excessively tired.
I am 53 yrs old/ female and carry the lupus gene, which I was tested for some years ago. (My father had systemic lupus erythematosis) I had a right nephrectomy in 1986 due to pyelonephritis. Feeling desperate today, am awaiting blood tests which I'm having tmoro, but feel I'm moaning to Dr as have complained re pain for several years and don't seem to be taken seriously.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--besides the lupus gene testing have you had a formal autoimmune panel--antinuclear antibody, rheumatoid factor, sed rate, and C reactive protein?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No to any of those
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Anne and sorry for the delay. Any history of diabetes or thyroid problems?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My father developed type 2 when he was about 62........ My maternal grandmother had under active thyroid. I forgot to say that I also have a very poor appetite and eat very little
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Anne do you know what blood tests you're scheduled for and has your GP had anything to say about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Full blood count and creatinine level
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK Anne. We can continue after this if you'd like but here are my thoughts

This isn't fibromyalgia--at least not most of the symptoms you've mentioned

I think an autoimmune disorder--maybe lupus--is a possibility, but I'd screen you for low thyroid, low cortisol levels, magnesium deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency, and diabetes. None of those would have been tested with just a full blood count and creatinine so you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you so much, I will mention these to my gp when I can get a further appointment
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Anne but let me know how things go
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Had more bloods taken and just had call from surgery to advise I need a prescription due to folic acid and they have issued a letter re diabetes. Still awaiting some test results.
Thanks for your advice
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Keep in touch Anne