Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Kidney Infection Help

My girlfriend was diagnosed with a kidney infection yesterday morning and was prescribed 30mg/500mg of co-codamol and 200mg of Trimethoprin (6 tablets, 1 twice a day). Since then the painkillers have knocked her pretty much flat out and the antiobiotics so far don't seem to have had much effect as she still feels terrible, sick and spaced out as well as having an itch all over her body. All she wants to do is sleep and she finds it hard to drink, it takes her a few swallows to get liquid down. She has been checked by the hospital last night and all her obs are fine, but she just doesn't seem to be improving even though she has now taken half of her antibiotics. Is this normal and what else can I do to help her so I don't have to keep taking her to our GP? Our GP took a Urine Sample again this morning but as of yet we haven't heard the results. She has told me she isn't in as much pain but she still feels terrible.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
3 days of Bactrim is not adequate treatment if she reallly has a kidney infection or pyelonephritis. This is treatment for a simple bladder infection. About 1/3 of e coli bladder infections are resistant to Bactrim, meaning it will not work.
Appropriate treatment for kidney infection is one dose of iv antibiotics followed by 7 days of oral antibiotics. Preferred drugs are ciprofloxacin or levofloxacin.
Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole is an alternative but must be used for 14 days at a dose of 160/800 mg.
What she has been prescribed is not sufficient at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so would you recommend that even though her pain has decreased in the last few hours that I should take her back to our GP tomorrow (we live in the UK so it's 12:15am here) and ask him to re-diagnose? Or at least look at her medication? As I said, we were at the emergency room last night and they said her observations were normal and to carry on with the painkillers and medication. She does seem to be improving very slowly since I asked the question. I just worry because the doctors say that she should be much better by now and she is only slightly

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
A bladder infection should be better right away I think she should be back at the hospital.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I seem to believe my GP more than the hospital though. I know that sounds weird but he told us that with a kidney infection she will feel worse before she feels better which is what is happening. The hospital told us that occasionally a kidney infection can infect the bladder which will seep back into the kidneys causing pain on both sides which she has. She is asleep currently and she always seems brighter after the painkillers wear off....she is being sick but she is a smoker and is only sick after a cigarette. Other than that there is an improvement. I take your advice on being back at the hospital, but we were there last night and they were unanimously happy to send us back home

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
ok I hope she feels better
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
After thr reply I gave to th expert, to receive, "ok, I hope she feels better" is not what I expected
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
I'm here to help
what questions remain for you?
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
I think you need to go back to the GP in the AM
trimethoprim isn't that great of an antibiotic to begin with
I think she needs something stronger like levaquin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you, ***** ***** that is an answer! She is asleep at the moment next to me. She isn't in as much pain as she was, she is just very tired and she keeps being sick after a cigarette (she is a smoker) Is all this normal with the medication she is on?

Yes, that is pretty normal with the meds and a serious infection
However, I am just worried the antibiotic isn't enough
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you for being more thorough than the last "expert"!

I shall see how she is in the morning and ring my GP for further advice

sounds like a plan!
let me know what the GP says!
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States