Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

What could be the cause of a sudden appearance of a small dry

What could be the cause of a sudden appearance of a small dry patch of skin on upper lip. This is dry for a week then flakes off and is back to normal for another week and then the patch returns. I am now experiencing my third episode of this.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Is this on the lip itself or just above it? When you say dry patch is there any different color to it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi - it is on the lip rather than on the skin surrounding. No discoloration or significant colour change - not massively noticeable

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Jo--is it on the corner of your mouth or more in the center of the lip?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes on the centre near the cupids bow - it doesn't cause pain, is not sore or feel sensitive just like a dot of sandpaper

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Jo. Sounds like a specific kind of eczema of the lip that's also called cheilitis. Nothing too serious. When you get it you can apply a thin layer of cortisone cream twice a day and in between times use a lip balm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** never had eczema what would cause this to suddenly start as I understand eczema is a skin condition for life.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not necessarily for life, expecially on the lips. As to the cause, that really isn't known.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I also ask that in the same time period I noticed that two of the glands in my neck slightly below and behind the ears, on each side were very swollen. They were sticking out noticeably as large lumps, this was three weeks ago. They have started to go down but are still prominent lumps. is this connected to the eczema?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Were they tender?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not to start with but after a few days they were but I think this was because I kept pressing them

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Wouldn't be related to the lip issue Jo. If they weren't tender to start with and they're starting to reduce in size they sound more like sebaceous cysts rather than lymph nodes. If they're not down to normal size as of yet let your doctor take a look