Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Im suffering from anxiety and depression since I haven't bene

im suffering from anxiety and depression since I haven't bene able to work for 8 years. Ive tried everything, medication , therapy etc. None works. Im 51, Ive always felt different. I m looking into having brain scans to find out what may be wrong with me
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Have you had any blood tests to evaluate this?
If so, what has been done? Do you have the results?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

The vast majority of people with anxiety and depression have them as a primary condition and there is no underlying condition that is causing the anxiety and depression. However, in the few people in whom an underlying cause is present, it is far more common to find a metabolic condition with blood tests than any central nervous condition via a brain scan, particularly if there are no abnormalities found on neurologic exam. Therefore, I would want to first pursue a metabolic evaluation, specifically a hormonal evaluation, rather than a brain scan.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.