Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had a flu like illness 3 times in the last 5 months

Customer Question

I have had a flu like illness 3 times in the last 5 months and am beginning to despair of getting better.
I don't have a temperature. The symptoms are: extreme fatigue, can only get up for 1-2 hours at a time before sleeping most of the day and night, congestion in nasal passages, dry cough, aches in shoulders, stiffness, upset digestion - loose bowels and flatulence and bloating especially in the evenings. My abdomen is a bit tender on the right side.
I am still eating small meals regularly with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and no processed food but I am putting on weight - about 6 kilos. My weight has been quite stable over the last 30 years. I am 55. Each bout has lasted 2-3 weeks and I have had 4 weeks in between feeling OK but not as energetic as usual.
I have had blood tests but nothing has showed up. My blood pressure is normal and I do not have an iron deficiency. I have taken Lemsip, cough pastilles and paracetemol to relieve the symptoms. I am not allergic to anything I know about.
Any ideas?
Sarah
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sarah. Please tell me what tests you've had.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Blood test for haemoglobin count no urine test temperature taken and blood pressure fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I feel very naseous and tearful when i try and work -i am agardener
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--that's the only blood work done? No thyroid, cortisol, B12 levels, etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Sarah. All I can do here is tell you how I would work this up were I your doctor--will that be what you need?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would you do? What should i do while i am waiting for tests & results?
Is there anything i can take to make me feel well enough to work if i have to wait a week or do for test results?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK. First off your doctor hasn't nearly ordered enough tests and these are the ones I would get

Full thyroid panel

AM and PM cortisol levels

An EBV viral titer

B12 levels

Vitamin D levels

This could be a problem with low thyroid, high cortisol levels, low B12 or vitamin D levels, or chronic fatigue syndrome, or possibly more than one of these

At this point you need to take extra vitamin C, a B complex vitamin supplement, probiotics, and get some exercise if you feel up to it

Let me know if you still need to discuss all of this