Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Can oxyplatin cause appetite loss ?

Customer Question

Can oxyplatin cause appetite loss ?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
Yes it does as does most chemo.
Dietary changes such as eating smaller more frequent meals and foods that are calorie and nutrient dense can help. Using a medication that will stimulate the appetite can help. Megace (a hormone), Remeron (an antidepressant), or Decadron (a steroid ) are examples.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He's losing lot weight like 1 stone in 6 weeks already since starting I don't know if its worth to contine with it . ?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is worth continuing chemo even if weight loss is more significant
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its metastic colon cancer . Initially was a stage 3. The problem is that this time round which was the third round , the chemo was stopped kind of half way ( when there was about half an hour left of it ) as my father had severe arm pain.

can this now effect it working this time round ?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
The fact that he only had a half dose last time has no effect on it working now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So could the mets start to grow until the next round then ?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
The mets can always grow at any point. You cannot do anything to change that excpet to continue with the chemo and hope that this does not happen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The a lot - can procedures on the liver help like TACE

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Yes of course. Any procedure that resects or eliminates liver mets can increase the survival period.