DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Ive had a cluster of small hard moveable lumps on the left

Hi, ive had a cluster of small hard moveable lumps on the left side of my neck for the last 11 weeks, they came up around the time i had sore throat, fever, diarhorea dizziness. these symptoms subsided in approx 9 days but the hard moveable nodes remained. i had an ultrasound on my neck which showed the largest node to be 10mm. they reported to my gp they would only repeat the scan if the nodes increased in size.
i recently had a throat exam with the flexible light thing because i went through a period of sore throat, hoarse voice etc. which gave me the all clear. i no longer have the sore throat. I am prone to sinus infections however, and for the last 3 months have had ear pressure in both ears, some mild pain in the roof of my mouth and now a constant dull toothache in my back upper teeth. i have also noticed some small amounts of blood in the mucous from my nose, which is now a dark greeny yellow color. with all the bouts of sinusitis in the past ive never had toothpain or pain in the roof of my mouth. I am very concerned about some kind of sinus/nasal cancer due to the new sinus symptoms combined with the hard nodes that remain in my neck. some times i feel like the nodes are a little painfull too. i am 33 years old and female. should i be concerned? I should also add i cant feel or see any growths in my nose or mouth. pls help, i am a single mum of 2 young children and fearing the worst. thank you
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
I understand your concerns, but fear not.
Chronic sinus infection can cause blood and greenish phlegm.
And lymph nodes can remain palpable for long time.
Environmental allergies also contribute to the chronic sinus symptoms.
These do not suggest any cancerous etiology.
The lymph node sizes are still considered small not considered serious.
I will suggest a course of antibiotic Doxycycline 200 mg daily for a week.
And a steroid nasal spray Fluticasone can be used to control these symptoms.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please click on Excellent service so that the website allows me to assist you further :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your reply. The reason im worried it is more serious is that although ive had many bouts of sinusitis before ive never had these specific symptoms and also the fact the lymph nodes are very hard. also the tooth pain is not responding to ibuprofen

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
These are still part of sinus infection --can appear anytime.
And the tooth pain suggests tooth pulp infection.
Another reason for antibiotic.
Please see your dentist as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
chances of it being cancer? are hard lumps normal in this? shouldnt ibuprofen help? what should i do next etc
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
A sinus CT rules out chronic sinusitis.
This is the likely problem.
Of course it would rule out cancer.
I think the chances of this being cancer, just from your description, and clinically speaking, are zero.
I am a double board certified US doctor.
You can always get right to me by request.
Here daily.
Ibuprofen is not a good treatment for sinus problems.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if im honest the hard nodes are the main reason im worrying about it, everything i read online seems to say hard lymph nodes indicate malignancy, is this not the case?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No it is not.
In the majority of cases, hard nodes that have been persistent and not grown are sclerosed nodes from previous infection, or even normal nodes that have become sclerosed.
Your doctor can easily rule out cancer.
Please see my offer.
Please click a positive rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you so much for your help. i will rate your responce as excllant service.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome anytime.
And remember you get get directly to me any day of the week.
Use my request link with a long request lock.
Make sure you submit in medical and that it stays in medical.
Use customer service if you have any problems.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.