DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am a male aged 71 years who has enjoyed good health

I am a male aged 71 years who has enjoyed good health throughout my life, but since February this year I have become very breathless and can only now walk about 100 yards and I have to stop to gather breath. In addition my right leg gets very tired and eventually buckles and sometimes it has caused me to fall. I have no pains whatsoever and have recently had an Echocardiogram and Stress Test. The Echocardiogram report shows that my heart is good with a regular beat, but the stress test lasted less than 3 minutes as my right leg gave up. Have you any idea what could be wrong with me?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor and can help you with this question.

There are some main possibilities.

Heart disease. Part of that has been ruled out, but you need a chemical stress test to get the full picture.

Lung disease. Pulmonary function testing needs to be done. This will show if there is a chronic problem.

Small clots to the lung. This is often missed. It can relate to a clot in the leg. You need a high resolution CT scan of the lungs to see if this is the case.

Bronchospasm from acid reflux. Often missed.

I would take this list to your doctor and go over it carefully.

OK, so that is an initial answer…. Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply to my enquiry. I have had a stress test on a treadmill but didn't last more than 3 minutes when my leg began giving up. Is a chemical stress test different?
I have also had a lung function test which tuned out as average. I am currently awaiting an appointment to have a CT scan on my chest. I also have an appointment to see a general physician on Thursday of this week. I will certainly take your comments to the General Physician on Thursday.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes the chemical stress test does not require that you be on a treadmeal...they handle all of that with medications.
You are welcome.
Find me anytime.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.