Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Does an ultrasound scan show after two Weeks of abortion that

Customer Question

Does an ultrasound scan show after two Weeks of abortion that I had an abortion.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

If you had a procedure to perform an abortion, an ultrasound two weeks later typically would not be able to determine that an abortion had occurred. If you took medicines to perform an abortion, the expulsion of the contents of the uterus can take longer, and it is possible that an ultrasound two weeks later may be able to detect some of this tissue. Even in this latter scenario, though, the ultrasound would not be able to differentiate between a medical abortion or a spontaneous miscarriage.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. My boyfriend is taking me to a doctor for a scan to make sure that I had an abortion 2 weeks ago. I wasnt pregnant at all. But I said I was and I had an abortion. I dont want him to find out that I wasnt pregnant at all when I have the scan. So I understand that the scan will show that I am not pregnant. But it wont show that I didnt have an abortion 2 weeks ago. Am I right?
Yes, that is correct. An ultrasound at this point would not be able to differentiate between whether you were pregnant and had an abortion or that you were never pregnant.