Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have indigestion and a pain in my upper front and back shoulder

Customer Question

i have indigestion and a pain in my upper front and back shoulder with a soreness in my chest do i need to see a doctor
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Which indigestion and pain killers have you been taking since the weekend?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i took galvison on sunday and ordinary paracetamol , indigestion on and off since didnt take anything else woke , up over an hour ago with indigestion and enough pain to wake me from a deep sleep.

Thank you for the additional information.

When having indigestion and upper front and back shoulder pain, it is reasonable to first try some over the counter medicines to try to get relief of symptoms, although it may require a stronger medicine than Gaviscon. There are several over the counter medicines that are better at relief of symptoms because they are stronger at suppressing stomach acid, such as Zantac/ranitidine or Nexium/esomeprazole.

It is common for an acid irritation syndrome, such as acid reflux, to cause both indigestion and should/chest/back pain, so a stronger medicine for stomach acid may be sufficient to also relieve pain. It is fine to also use the paracetamol, as you have been doing. It is important to avoid the anti-inflammatory pain medicines, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, as these medicines can exacerbate acid irritation syndromes.

If the stronger medicine controls the symptoms, then it is not necessary to be seen. However, if the stronger medicine is not sufficient, then it would be appropriate to be seen at that point.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.