Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Just need to understand why my docs are so relaxed about an

Just need to understand why my docs are so relaxed about an issue I thought was a big deal.
I had a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis and the results came back identifying 2 (6mm) well defined low attenuation foci , likely to be benign simple cysts on my liver. I freaked out a little as I thought that I shouldn't have anything on my liver. The specialist advised me that everything was normal and these cysts are a normal variant and regularly found in imaging on normal healthy adults.
As im a bit of a hypochondriac I went for a second opinion with a well renowned Gasterentorologist and he again agreed with the first specialist and said we have a specialist abdominal radiologist in today he can have a look at your liver to put your mind at rest.
I went to the radiologist that afternoon and he looked at my liver and said everything is normal and I dont have any heptic cysts. I thought this was a little strange as the CT report said I had the cysts. Both the GI and the radiologist said nothing to worry about on your liver its a perfectly normal healthy liver.
Again I found myself worrying about the cysts and went for another ultrasound a few weeks later , the report game back as normal liver ( unremarkable). For some reason I still found myself worrying , is it really that common to have liver cysts?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome back to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
Liver cysts occur in approximately 5% of the population. The cause of most liver cysts is unknown.
Your CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis showed 2 (6mm) cyst in the liver.
Most liver cysts do not cause any symptoms.These cysts generally do not affect liver function and may remain asymptomatic for years.
Most liver cysts do not need to be treated.Only if these cysts get large and painful, they may need to be drained or surgically removed.
I agree with your both doctors-radiologist & gastro doctor that there is nothing of concern for these simple liver cysts.There is nothing to worry.
You do not have any symptoms & hence no treatment is required.Your liver is a perfectly normal healthy liver.
The only patients who require treatment for a liver cyst(s) are those who develop symptoms.
So bot***** *****ne is that there is nothing to worry & no thing of concern.
I hope now you understand that why your docs are so relaxed about this issue.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Doctor Robert , I appreciate the advice , I lost my mother to breast Cancer when she was 54 and that was 6 years ago ever since then I have been constantly getting myself tested for things trying to find a cancer or something wrong.

Dear customer
Thank you for the words of appreciation.
I am so sorry to hear about your mother.I can understand that you lost your mother at 54 that was 6 years ago,due to breast cancer & so you are much more concerned & keep on get tested for things trying to find a cancer or something wrong.
But the liver cysts you are having is not due to cancer or anything serious.These simple cysts are normal & there is nothing to worry.
There is no need of any treatment.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr Robert

Just wondering as im speaking to a computer really.

Are you a real doctor ? no offense intended.

Dear customer
Just answer is a website where only real doctors & experts answer you & provide the service.
Again I repeat,I agree with your both the doctors-radiologist & gastro that there is nothing to concern about these simple liver cysts.
Simple liver cysts in the liver usually cause no signs or symptoms and usually there is need no treatment.
So you should relax & there is nothing of concern for your liver cysts.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your response , I agree with the information supplied. I was just wondering if im speaking with a doctor as its the internet and we are not face to face.

thank you

Dear customer
Ohh.I can understand your issues.
You can initiate this thread in future if you any other health related querries.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert