Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Is it ok to be cynical with every single person/situation if

Is it ok to be cynical with every single person/situation if what Don Miguel Ruiz says is true? http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/06/06/the-second-agreement-dont-take-anything-personally/
because critical thinking is a positive and productive activity and therefore by criticising everyone in our minds, we are staying true to our beliefs and loyal to our priorities - is this correct?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--just to be clear here did you mean is it OK to be CRITICAL and not cynical?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well, i am both critical and cynical but in a positive way. all i do is draw boundries between others opinions/perspectives and mine whilst being critical AND cynical, but in a positive way so that it helps me stay true to my beliefs/priorities. so i mean is it ok to be critical AND cynical with every single person or situation in a very positive and productive manner? Thank you for reverting back to me for a clarification.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK. Yes, indeed it is OK to be bothe cynical and critical with others so that you can be yourself--true to yourself and your beliefs and priorities. That way you don't let others intrude on who you are. As Ruiz points out, don't take anything personal, or as I like to say to others,

What you think of me is none of my business