Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My aunt recently fractured her femur and they used a plate

My aunt recently fractured her femur and they used a plate and pins to repair it, this was 3 weeks ago (30th April). We are due to go to the lake district (5 hour journey) on the 30th May. We are travelling in a large mini bus, so my aunt will be able to elevate her leg and we plan to stop every hour so that she can stroll around as she is worried about the risk of thrombosis.
Do you think it is safe for her to travel this distance?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Yes, of course, it has been three weeks and she is mobilized. You can also ask her to wear compression stockings for more safety. Other than that strolling every hour for 5 to 10 minutes and keeping the legs elevated and the ankle in motion (up and down) while sitting are good measures to ensure that no thrombosis occurs. She can travel without any worries.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.