Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Firstly can you confirm I can ask you questions as I have

Firstly can you confirm I can ask you questions as I have membership?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
It appears you do. Do you have a medical question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes please. I was wanting se information about post stroke dilerium. My partners father is currently in hospital and has been dilerium for 5 weeks after having a stroke. Do you know what time frame we should expect it to subside and what are the chances of him being allowed back home? The whole hospital environment is very stressful for him and he spends his day trying to escape the ward...sometimes aggresivly.
Why is he still in the hospital?
getting him out is key to resolving the delirium
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is under a mental health treatment order currently as he is deemed to be a danger to himself. He has been trying to jump out windows or drink hand fluid. He has been moved to a new geriatric ward today and his wife is quite distressed as the ward has set drinking and eating times. He has already lost a considerable amount of weight and isn't very compliant with taking fluids so the concern is restricting him will run a higher risk of dehydration. I'm unsure with his behaviour that he would be safe at home although that is what his family want.
I think he should
that is the only way this is going to get better
what meds is he on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is on risperidone although I am unsure the dosage. He was on amatriptiline but it wasn't agreeing with him. I am a student nurse so have small amount of research skills. All the research I find are based on outcomes rather than recovery methods
what other meds?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As far as I know just that and a heart medication (unsure name) as he had a heart attack many years ago. He is also getting lorazepam I think when very agitated
Okay. That seems reasonable.
I really think he should go to a rehab facility if he can't go home.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A stroke rehab facility? Do you know what the likely hood of recovery would be if he has suffered dilerium for so long?
It is still possible to some extent
However, it gets less likely as time goes on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
­čśó what time should we expect the dilerium to subside? Thank you for helping me it's a very stressful situation
there is no time frame. no one knows
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)