Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had a ventrical pacer and have recently taken myself

Customer Question

I have had a bi ventrical pacer and have recently taken myself off amiodarane , i can feel my heart not beating quite right ,is there an alt to this old and dulling down of life drug and all the potential harmfull effects thanks Jim
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Whether there are any alternatives would depend upon the underlying abnormal rhythm being treated.
What abnormal rhythm is the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when i was in hospital for a month the doctor could not get the balance between a slow heartbeat and af.since then i have taken myself off amiodarone ---- as i was hoping that the bi vent would by pass the heart block --- a doctor has told me i have stage 2NY,yet i think he wants to up my ACE inhibitor when i go next to out-pateint dept. when in hospital i had numerous events through the night ,although i did not feel them,just out of interest my own Gp new I had Af and my legs swelled to enormous size ,my appontment at the hospital for xray of heart ,was kept in at that point due to my deterriorating condition --From seeing the GP to that event it was 8 months ,I think if I had been seen earlier I would not have had so serious an outcome ---perhaps you will understand now my scepticism of your proffesion and why up to this date i have had no test to see if any of meds are affecting me in an adverse way---I am not taking it futher but i do feel angry and let down ---

For Afib, there are a number of different options, although the options would vary according to the clinical situation.

It is important to note that in several different clinical situations, the amiodarone has been repeatedly shown to be better in Afib, if the definition of better is the likelihood that it will control the abnormal rhythm of Afib. However, you are also correct that it has a higher incidence of side effects than the alternatives, so an alternative may be preferable solely because of the desire to avoid side effects. Even if we try a medicine that works only half as often as amiodarone, but you are one of the people in whom it works, it may be a better choice for you.

When you say that your doctor says that you have stage 2 NY, that would be a reference to HY Heart Asssociation, or NYHA, class II. In the clinical situation in which there is mild heart dysfunction, NYHA Class II, this is one of the situations in which amiodarone has been shown to be more likely to control the heart rhythm. The rimary alternative in this situation, though, is dofetilide. Of course, another option to consider would be catheter ablation, which may be able to allow you to avoid all anti-arrhythmic medicines. We usually consider catheter ablation when anti-arrhythmics have failed, but you can also discuss this with your doctor if you simply want to avoid anti-arrhythmics.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.