Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Since 5pm yesterday my fourth finger on my left hand has been

Since 5pm yesterday my fourth finger on my left hand has been numb like a pins and needle sensation and I don't know why
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The most common cause of sudden onset of numbness or a pins and needles sensation of a single finger in a young adult is from musculoskeletal inflammation that places pressure on the nerve to the finger. The inflammation can be at several different locations along the course of the nerve.

Although it would require further evaluation to determine the exact condition, another option would be to take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. If one of these medicines leads to resolution of the symptoms, then there does not need to be further evaluation to determine the exact cause.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.